Are the chemicals in dryer sheets really that bad?
Yes and yes. Being in a world full of processed stuff, we don't really know what effects they'll have on us. A prime example of this is dryer sheets. Fragrances are chemically designed to stick to your clothes so that your clothes stay smelling fresh. "Great!" you might think, "I'm going to smell wonderful all day!" But this is actually dangerous. Think about it. The harmful chemicals are designed to stay with you, touching your skin all day long.
Don't take my word for it though, the environmental working group who grades consumer products for their safety and environmental responsiveness give 83% of companies a D or F. No dryer sheets receive an A. That means every single dryer sheet out there, even the natural ones, have some toxins that the environmental working group have some concerns about.
“When people use dryer sheets, they are coating their clothes with a thin film of artificial chemical perfumes. Just like other perfumes, a person’s sensitivity to these perfumes decreases over time to the point where they don’t even notice how potent these artificial fragrance chemicals are. None of this would be interesting if it weren’t for the fact that these fragrance chemicals are extremely toxic. They are known carcinogens. They cause liver damage and cancer in mammals.” Mike Adams
9 Toxic reasons to ditch dryer sheets
1. Chloroform is neurotoxic and carcinogenic and on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor is a central nervous system stimulant, causes confusion, dizziness, nausea, and convulsions and is on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list.
4. Ethyl Acetate is a narcotic and may cause narcosis (stupor).
5. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic.
6. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders.
7. Limonene known carcinogen and irritates eyes and skin
8. Pentane causes headaches, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
9. Dichlorobenzene is also a know carcinogen.
There is an alternative
Dryer balls + essential oils.
Yep, not to toot our horn too much, but we love our dryer balls. Below are just a few of the benefits
- No harmful chemicals
- Saves money by decreases drying time
- Softens clothes
- Makes you happy
- Saves time by speeding up your dryer
- You can add essential oils for natural and healthy scents
- You get to pick your own scent
You can get 30% your first order too! Click here to get your 30% off today and then order your Simply Earth Dryer Balls and make your home more natural.